Follow the below steps to stop Windows updates on Windows 10 devices. Stop Windows updates is straightforward but not recommended by Microsoft because stopping the update will prevent your device from receiving the latest security update from the Microsoft server, which can lead to various problems in your device.
You can follow the below steps to disable Windows update in Windows 10
How to disable Windows update in Windows 10
- Press the Window key on your keyboard to open the search bar
- Type services and open the services as an administrator
- Scroll down and select Windows Update
- Right-click the Windows Update and select Properties.
- Change the Startup Type to Disabled
- If the service status is running, click Stop to Stop it
- Click OK and close
That’s it; Now you have successfully disabled the Windows update services on your device, which will stop your device from receiving further updates on your device.
How to Permanently disable Windows update using GPO
The following option is for the system admin who manages multiple computers. Using group policy, you can disable the Windows update centrally.
Even if you disabled the Windows Update services in Windows 10, somehow Windows manages to enable it after the monthly cumulative updates. So, disabling the Windows services using the above method is not helpful in some scenarios.
The best way to avoid this kind of issue is to use the Group Policy option; when you disable the Windows update services through Group Policy, it will be automatically disabled on the following Group Policy refresh interval.
Login to your Domain Controller and Open Group Policy Management Editor
Open Group Policy Management Editor on your domain controller and open the existing policy or create a new group policy object.
- Computer Configuration
- Expand Preferences/Control Panel Settings
- Select Services as shown in the below image
- Right Click on Services
- Select New and click Service
- Select Startup as Disabled
- Type Windows Update service name as wuauserv
- Select Service action as Stop service
- Click OK to close
That’s it; you have successfully created a group policy object to disable the Windows update service in Windows 10 devices.
If Windows enable the Windows update service or you enable it manually upon following the group policy refresh internal Windows update service will automatically be disabled.
How to check Group Policy settings is Applied or Not?
Login to any domain-joined Windows 10 computer and follow the below instruction to confirm whether the group policy setting you created is applied.
- Press Windows + X button on your keyboard
- Select Windows PowerShell or Windows PowerShell (Admin)
- Type gpupdate /force in the Windows PowerShell and wait till you get the successful message.
- What Happens When I Delete iCloud Backup - 12th December 2023
- How to Turn On Dark Mode on TikTok - 10th December 2023
- Differences Between NTFS Disk Quotas and FSRM Quotas - 8th December 2023
Was this Article Helpful?
Did I just helped you solve one of your problem? Support me by buying me a coffee. Thanks for your support