Renaming Azure VM is simple but not easy. Following this blog, you can rename Azure VM in 4 various options.
For various reasons, you want to rename the newly created or existing azure VM name, but changing the name for Azure VM is not as simple as in the file explorer. Because when you create a VM, Microsoft Azure creates and assigns various dependencies like Network card, IP address, virtual disk, etc.,
There is no rename option available for the Azure VM in the Azure portal, and you cannot achieve this task either through any PowerShell or other commands. Maybe Microsoft can think about this and provide a simplified option through the portal in future.
Vote for this feature: Ask Microsoft to add Rename Azure VM feature
I am sure about you, but I desperately need this feature for many of my clients. There is an open request for Rename Azure VM in the Microsoft Azure Feedback form with 1000+ votes and counting.
Unfortunately, there is no update current status update from the Microsoft side. So, we must wait until Microsoft provides this feature on their timeline.
There are 4 ways to rename Azure VM
- Delete the VM by keeping the Disk and recreate the VM with the NEW name
- Use any one of the following blog to rename Azure VM using PowerShell script (It will automatically delete the VM and create a new VM with the NEW name)
- The easiest option I prefer is Backup the VM and restore the VM with the New Name
- Stop the VM and Create managed disks snapshots, Create new managed disks from snapshots in the Resource Group and Deploy new VM using managed disks in the Resource Group
Options 1 and 2 are complicated, so I prefer the 3rd or 4th easiest option. For 3rd option, please follow this step-by-step Instruction
Backup VMs documentation:
Restore VM documentation:
When restoring the VM, select the “Create New” option, as shown in the image below, and give the new VM name.
I hope this helps.
- What Happens When I Delete iCloud Backup - 12th December 2023
- How to Turn On Dark Mode on TikTok - 10th December 2023
- Differences Between NTFS Disk Quotas and FSRM Quotas - 8th December 2023
Was this Article Helpful?
Did I just helped you solve one of your problem? Support me by buying me a coffee. Thanks for your support